I have found that a time saver in the kitchen can be in the form of a recipe you can easily adapt to whatever ingredients you have on hand. Complicated, long recipes are enough of a turn off when it comes to meal prep. Give me a recipe that is healthy and versatile! – and that’s exactly what Dr. Lauren Powell of The Culinary Doctor delivered. I watched a live segment of Dr. Lauren on the Stronger for Good Virtual Health and Wellness Event a few weeks ago, and wanted to share the amazing stir fry sauce recipe she developed. It looked so yummy that I made it that afternoon for lunch!
Dr. Lauren’s Cauliflower Shrimp Fried Rice recipe contains a wonderful sauce that can double as a marinade. Each individual ingredient brings a unique depth of flavor to the sauce. Goodbye boring and bland tasting meals! What I appreciate about this recipe is that most of the ingredients bring something beneficial to the meal. Bone broth is full of nutrients like magnesium, calcium, and collagen, which is good for your skin and joints. Ingredients like ginger, sesame oil, and garlic are anti-inflammatory and antioxidants – and they deliver a lot of flavor! Honey is a natural sweetener that helps both to bring down the bad LDH cholesterol levels, and improve the good HDL levels.
The vegetables and proteins you add to the recipe can be customized. The first time I made this recipe, I used salmon, okra, edamame, peas, and a quinoa and veggie blend. The second time I made this, I used ground pork, egg, edamame, corn, black beans, and brown rice. I put together these meals with stuff I had on hand. There was no trip to the grocery store in between discovering this recipe and making meals! Proof that this recipe is so versatile and forgiving!
One Great Tasting Sauce + Any Protein + Any Veggie = Easy Healthy Meal In No Time!
Cauliflower Shrimp Fried Rice
Stir Fry Sauce Ingredients
1/2 cup chicken or bone broth
4 cloves minced garlic
2 T ginger paste
1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 T corn starch
2t sesame oil
2 T honey
crushed red pepper flakes, if desired
Stir Fry Ingredients
1/4 onion, chopped
2-3 cups cauliflower rice (or quinoa, or a mixture of rice and cauliflower rice)
Protein: 1/2 lb. shrimp, tofu, chicken, steak, fish
1 cup frozen veggie mix
3 generous handfuls of spinach or kale
– Steps –
- Combine all sauce ingredients and stir completely.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and set over medium heat.
- You can either cook your protein first and set it aside, or precook it and have it ready to go in your fridge, and add it in at the end.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring often, until softened but not browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the grated cauliflower and cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes.
- Add the veggie mix and continue cooking until the cauliflower “rice” is tender-crisp and the vegetables are warmed through, a few minutes.
- Stir in spinach until wilted and the cooked protein until warm and add in the stir fry sauce, a little at a time. You will not need the entire jar of sauce.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve hot.
Optional add-in’s after cooking include avocado, hot sauce and sesame seeds as garnish.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have! Thank you Dr. Lauren Powell for sharing this easy and healthy meal. It’s so so good! What other recipes do you have in your arsenal that are versatile and easy to make?